Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pickled Radishes

  A few weeks ago we were eating in a very good restaurant in Tallinn, Estonia, it's focus was in making local food using local ingredients.  We ate some really delicious food and one of the many things that  impressed me was the homemade pickled radishes.  When I got home I was inspired to make some using some of the many radishes over growing in our greenhouse. I looked in all my preserves books for a recipe but didn't find one, so I tried the internet and eventually found a few really simple recipes.  


This is what I used:
500g of Radishes
2 small shallots  
500ml of rice vinegar 
4 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pickling spices or a few whole pepper corns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds.

I first cleaned and then chopped the radishes and shallots into bit sized peaces.  
I then put all the other ingredients in a pan and brought them to a boil.  I sterilised my jars in boiling water and filled them with the  radishes and shallot. When they were neatly packed in, I poured the vinegar mix over them. With in a few minutes the
radishes started to lose there colour and the vinegar became a lovely red. 
I have not tried mine yet but I am really hoping they will taste as good as the ones we had in Tallinn.   


No comments:

Post a Comment