Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring green soup

Nettles and cleavers growing together
This is a twist to the nettle soup recipe I put on here last year.  I have been looking forward to making this for a while now and I finally I got to make it yesterday. I added some cleavers  which  are growing next to the nettles, it is a really good cleansing herb that helps to clean the lymphatic system.  I also put in some fresh lovage, this is one of my favourite tasting herbs and I just found some new shoots coming up in the
herb garden.  


The nutritional value of this soup.

-Nettles; (Urtica dioca) Blood tonic, hypoglycaemic, antiseptic, circulatory stimulant.  
-Cleavers, aka goosegrass; (Galium aparine) Lymphatic alterative, detoxifier, astringent tonic. 
-Lovage; (Levisticum officinalis) Mild antibiotic, diuretic, antispasmodic.  
 So all in all a very heathy soup and quite perfect for an internal spring clean. 

My well washed spring greens
1 leek
3 potatoes
2 carrots 
2 handfuls of nettles
1/2 handfull of cleavers 
A few fresh lovage leaves 
300ml of chicken stock

Fist fry the leeks and then add the potatoes, carrots and then the stock.  Let it boil for awhile until the veg are soft then add the spring greens and boil for another 5 minutes.  When it's cooked blend it all together and eat it with hot butted toast.  


frozen chicken stock in the pot

My girls just love this soup and its a really good way to get some vitamins and minerals in them.  

Enjoying her soup
Tip: don't forget to use gloves when picking the nettles, and if you don't have any then use a plastic bag.  




No comments:

Post a Comment